One of my favourite kidney bean & rice dishes ever, definitely give it a go!
2 tins/jars of kidney beans
4 green peppers
2 cups of rice (I always use either Jasmin or Basmati rice)
2 medium sized onions
4 cloves of garlic
1 cup of water
red wine vinegar
spices: paprika, black pepper, turmeric powder, thyme,
oregano, ground coriander, salt,
a handful of fresh parsley,
optional: red hot chili peppers
Optional: 4 celery sticks
- Wash, dry & cook the rice.
- Chop the peppers, garlic & celery sticks into small-medium pieces, and dice the onions. Chop the fresh parsley & chilli pepper and leave aside.
- You can either grate the carrots or puree them in your blender.
- Rinse the pre-boiled kidney beans and put them in a plate. Use a masher or a fork to mash most of the beans, but only press onto them once, you don’t want to end up with bean paste.
- In a big non-stick frying pan add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and put the hob on high heat.
- Put the onions into the pan and stir constantly for 1-2 minutes, then turn the heat down to medium. Add the chopped peppers, garlic & celery, mix everything well and leave to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Put 1 tablespoon of paprika, turmeric powder, thyme,
oregano & ground coriander + 1 teaspoon of black pepper onto the frying veggies and stir them until they’re properly coated in spices.
- Add 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and stir whilst the vinegar is evaporating, for less than a minute, then add the pureed or grated carrots in.
- Add the mashed beans in and stir thoroughly until everything was mixed well. Add some water if the consistency is too thick and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Plate with rice, add some salt, fresh parsley & a bit of the chopped chilli pepper on top.
Vegetarian option: A dollop (or two) of Greek style yogurt goes perfectly well with this dish!